Good morning members,
Isn’t it wonderful to see the rain again, our new lawns have been gasping for water. Now for the latest Yacht Club news.
1. Sunday family swimming afternoon – This has proved so popular that we are running it every Sunday afternoon. BBQ food at very reasonable prices, plus waiter service for drinks are both available at the swimming pool & our Animator Barack is on hand to entertain the children & act as a Life Guard. There is plenty of shade under the trees & chairs & tables are put out on the grass for you. Bring buckets & spades for the little ones to play in the sand on our newly cleaned beaches. 2 pool beds are now back having been re-furbished & 5 more will come over the next 5 weeks to make a total of 7, which will be inside the pool area.
2. The new Terrace & the TV area – A new terrace is being constructed outside the Clubhouse doors adjacent to the TV sitting area. This was recently utilised as a BBQ area by a group of members watching the final of the 20/20 cricket on Sunday evening & was a great success. The Terrace is in the shade by 3pm & always has a lovely cool breeze, so will become an alternative sitting area for tea in the hot season & is ideal for evening BBQ’s or Koroga while watching TV. This is the last item in our current development programme & we aim to have the gardens finished in about a months time. Any suggestions for further improvement are most welcome (to email email@example.com ), but please bear in mind that Club funds for new developments are now exhausted until next year. You can also contact us on Facebook at ”MYCM mombasa”.
3. Habibi Night – A family evening of fun & music (see poster below). Make a note in your diary to come. A list will be put on the board to help determine numbers.
4. Power back system(PBS) – We now have a PBS that will power almost 20 lights & our computers for 8 hours. This very powerful system is effectively a silent generator & has cost several hundred thousand shillings & has been suppled & installed by Sollatek in return for Club Debentures, so thank you Sollatek. We encourage companies to advertise the goods they sell in this manner, so if you see a need for something in the Club try & know a company that sells what we need, please approach them. A good example would be children’s playground equipment for the grass area beyond the swimming pool, or tables & chairs for the garden areas.
5. Expanding our activities – We are trying to increase Club activities based on different cultures throughout the week at the Club, so that we can offer something for every member. Our initial idea is to have a curry night on Thursdays & a BBQ/Nyama Choma/Koroga evening on Fridays & we would appreciate hearing your views on these ideas to the Club email address firstname.lastname@example.org . We are planning one major function each month on a Saturday (for example Habibi Night in October) & will keep the remaining Saturdays free for weddings & outside functions, as we still need the revenue to maintain the wide range of free services we provide to members at the Club. If you do come to use the Club on a Saturday & find a wedding in progress, please be considerate & respect their privacy by not going into the front entrance of the Club & stay out of sight in the pool area please. If you would like to know what is going on in advance, or have a complaint at the time, please phone the Duty Manager on the Club phone number: 0729 396563. Please bear in mind the Managers are there to help you & if you wish to address an issue affecting the policy for outside events at the Club please talk to a Committee member, or send an email to the Club email address.
6. MPESA – We are still struggling to get MPESA, but it seems that training for the Corporate version is not done by Safaricom in Mombasa & nobody in Safaricom replies to our emails. If you think you can help please contact the Manager on the Club phone number.
7. WIFI – This is now working very well in the area of the Clubhouse & verandah. If you would like the password please contact the manager. It is a free service & should work during power cuts, as it is supported by the new Power Back System.
8. SAILING – Our hero Teddy Ndaro braved freezing temperatures in Poland to experience Laser sail training & participation in the Laser Europa Cup in Poland last month under the sponsorship of the Club for our Vision 2016 (getting Teddy to qualify for the next Olypics). He has returned somewhat thinner & more humble, having learned that competitive Laser sailing in Europe is of a very very high standard….!!. We will be circulating his amusing stories (with photos) to all of you shortly. The 7 new Laser sailing boats we ordered have now arrived (4 for Naivasha Y.C. & 3 for MYC), which will greatly increase the sailing opportunities for those sailors in the Club who do not own their own boats. Our cruising Yacht KAHAWA is now almost ready & we hope to start taking members out sailing next month.